Monday, July 18, 2011

Calling All Pioneers

Does anyone know where Sophie is pointing?


You are exactly right. It is the middle of nowhere.
But this spot has great significance to my family. It is the place where Scott's ancestors were stranded with their handcarts; caught in an early snowstorm on their way to Salt Lake. They were starving, dying, eating the soles of their shoes and tree bark. But it was at this spot that help finally came. They were rescued. And who rescued Scott's dying ancestors?
Why, my ancestors, of course!

This summer my mom and her husband are serving a mission there and helping to build the new visitor's center. There is also a river there called the Sweetwater, and it is there, this August, that Sophie and Syrena are going to be baptized....pioneer style.

We've been preparing all summer by reading pioneer stories, making pioneer dresses (which will be posted soon) and doing pioneer crafts to help us get into the spirit. Last week we made our own butter by pouring whipping cream and a little salt into jars. Then we went outside and rolled the jars back and forth to each other. We told stories. When that got boring we rolled the jars down grassy hills. It was hot. It was hard. It was grueling. But after about a half hour we had our own delicious butter:

Mmmm.....fat.




Afterwards Sophie proudly proclaimed, "Everything homemade is always better!"

I hope she still says that when I finish her pioneer dress...

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I can't wait to see the dresses too. You are so crafty. What fun to be baptized pioneer style too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool to all of it! I was baptized in the Snake River. I'm glad your girls get to experience that too. Can't wait to see the finished dresses! I need to find myself a bonnet pattern before pioneer day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to invite me to come for a craft day, I think that I may be able to pull off another pioneer activity for the girls (and what a great idea to have them baptized pioneer style!). We JUST got back from Nauvoo this morning, and my mind is teeming with ideas... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. See you soon, in the middle of nowhere! I did not even think of making a dress...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so wish we were coming! I'll be WAY too pregnant though (timing wasn't the best this time around). I'm so excited for your girls. What an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete